contact August 16th, 2014
From David Brown:
Looking for space to exhibit during the CONTACT 09 Photography Festival? SHOW AND SELL YOUR WORK AT THE GLADSTONE!
The Gladstone Hotel in collaboration with Toronto’s SpeakEasy Event will once again produce a group exhibition entitled EXPOSED for the CONTACT Toronto Photography Festival, which takes place in May 2009.
EXPOSED: Innovation, Transformation, Revolution will showcase the work of contemporary photographers (both established and emerging). In keeping with CONTACT 2009’s thematic focus; STILL REVOLUTION, EXPOSED will showcase photographic works ranging “from reportage to abstraction, documented fact to constructed fiction exploring photography through its many complex and ever evolving manifestations.” The exhibition will be co-produced by the Gladstone Hotel and SpeakEasy and curated by Chris Mitchell and David Brown.
The Gladstone Hotel is renting second floor exhibition rooms and gallery space to individuals or groups of photographers interested in participating in this Marque event. We invite innovative, cutting-edge photographers to submit expressions of interest.
Dates & Details:
Show Date: Thursday May 7 – Sunday May 31, 2009
Gallery Hours: 12pm-5pm Daily
Opening Reception: May 7, 2009 7pm-10pm
Installation Dates: May 6 and 7
Submission Deadline: Sunday Nov 16, 2008
Signed Contract and Deposit: Due Dec 1, 2008
Submission Fee: Free
Show Location: Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen Street West Toronto, ON 416-531-4635 www.gladstonehotel.com
Participation Fees & Display Opportunities:
Option #1: EXHIBITION ROOM $1200.00* (Tax Incl)/room
- 1 of 9 Exhibition Rooms which open on to the hotel’s main gallery space.
- includes full month exhibition space rental and CONTACT registration
– No commission on sales.
- Photographers may collaborate to share space and rental costs.
Option #2: ASSIGNED WALL SPACE in Main Reception Gallery $200* + GST/space
- 1 of 12 Assigned Wall Spaces to accommodate individual works or groupings of small pieces.
Why should you participate?
* EXPOSED will be a registered CONTACT Festival exhibition listed in the CONTACT 2009 guide and website
* The Gladstone has become a destination venue for CONTACT visitors, drawing significant crowds for the past 4 years. The hotel will host several CONTACT registered exhibitions during the month long festival.
* Exhibition and individual participants will be promoted in Gladstone Bag e-newsletter and Gladstone website Event Listings as well as featured on Gladstone Hotel website Exhibition Page and Gladstone Exhibition Press Release
* Showcase your work in the bright, beautiful spaces and newly restored Victorian grandeur of the Gladstone
* Gallery hours 7 days a week
The Gladstone is committed to providing participants with a rewarding and fulfilling experience including:
FOCUS – on established and emerging artists with a range of aesthetic sensibilities.
EXCLUSIVITY – In the unique exhibition setting of our historic hotel, the physical size, focus, and mandate of the exhibition will provide the opportunity for every participant to shine.
EXPOSURE – The Gladstone and SpeakEasy Events have successful track records of drawing attendees to exhibitions including Toronto and international press, local and international arts industry professionals, curators, gallery owners, collectors, patrons, and the general public.
CONNECTIONS – The Gladstone and SpeakEasy Events focus on creating networking opportunities for artists with various press and industry professionals as a primary exhibition objective. This focus is seen as a hallmark of success by many past exhibition participants.
These connections are enhanced by advance marketing that includes press releases, personal invitations, and an Opening Evening Reception hosted by the hotel.
ACCESSIBILITY – Participation costs for exhibitors are minimal compared to more commercial events. The Hotel takes no commissions on sales.
Interested in showing your work?
Submitting work for consideration is easy. Show us what you got, and what you want to do.
Email us samples of your work (max. 5 digital files), along with a short bio and a description of the work you will be presenting. Do not send originals!
Please include the following with your submission:
Name or Name of group
Contact information (phone, email)
Email submissions to:
David Brown, email@example.com and Chris Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org
*Participation Fees are only paid if your work is selected to be part of the show. A 50% deposit is due with signed contract on Dec 1, 2008 Balance of participation fees are due April 1, 2009